J ames Galindo was born in 1740 to Jehuda and Sarah. Nothing can be found about him until 1770 when he married Mary Boyle at the Parish Church, Whippingham, on the Isle of Wight.
When his brother, Samuel, married out of the Jewish faith he became baptised into the Church of England, James it seems could not be bothered about that.
The birth place of their first child Philemon, born 1770, is unknown but a second son, Jacobus, was baptised in 1778 into the Church of England at St Mary's in West Cowes. In this baptism entry the father's name is given as Jacobus.
It was common for Jews to have one name inside the synagogue and another 'street' name outside, more familiar to English ears.
For example Jacob(us) became James.
Trading with a Mr Ratsey in the Isle of Wight as Merchants they suffered a devastating set back in March 1775. The owners of a ship 'The Hope' took the traders to court for refusing to deliver up the ship and its cargo. The jury awarded £424 (£47,000 today)and costs to the owners.

IoW Advert
From Salisbury and Winchester Journal
15 May 1775
In May they were selling by auction a ton of elephants teeth, a ton and a half of beeswax and three tons of redwood, presumably the cargo. In August they were selling their own ship with all rigging etc.
Leaving the Isle of Wight. he moved to Clements Row. Islington where he was declared bankrupt in 1778, discharged in 1779

Still in London in 1784, with a daughter Amey born in 1873, he moved to Pipe Lane Bristol a few years later. Two more children, James and Mortimore, were baptised together on June 10th 1789 in St Augustine's Church Bristol this being the first year that James is paying Land Tax in Bristol.

Mortimore was apprenticed to John and Hannah James as a Taylor (Tailor) in Bristol on Jan 28th 1802, nothing more known. James is referred to in Samuel's letter of 1873. In 1836 he is in Kingston, Jamaica, (see Philip's Diary), where presumably he died. Amey, received a late baptism on April 15th 1805 at the Church of St Andrew's Bristol. The baptism records supposed to have been born in the year 1783. She married Samuel Nason on April 5th of that year, this baptism presumably regularised the marriage in the C of E.

Around 1802 James abandons Mary, now 57, for Sarah Russell, a Quakeress, born 1777 (37 years his junior!) and takes himself off to Plymouth where he is described as a Translator and Public Notary in 1814. Their first child, George was born in 1804, followed by Samuel (who wrote the letter
Artillery Ground
Artillery Ground Spitalfield
of 1873) in 1805.
James died in 1819 and is buried in 'Artillery Ground' Islington, London. (Now a public garden)
Also known as Bunhill Fields this was a favourite resting place for nonconformists. Interestingly there was a separate Quaker burying ground nearby also known as Bunhill Fields.

Mary, James' first, and only, wife, remained in Bristol and died there in 1829.